- Alfani Womens Chorde Peep Toe Wedge Pumps, Ink, Size 8.5
- Merrell Women's All Out Flash Trail Running shoes
- ZHRUI Men Basketball shoes Couple Midium Cut Basketball Sneakers Male Sport shoes (color White, Size 5.5=39 EU)
- PinLian Mens Captain Steve Cosplay Brown Suede Boots Booties Halloween shoes Costume (UK 9)
- QIKAI Tactical Boots Zip Large Size Military Boots Non-Slip Camouflage Tactical Boots Special Forces Combat Boots
- GTYW, Men's Combat Boots, Ultra-Light Shock Tactical Military Boots, Military Combat Police Work Military Boots, 38-45,Black-wool-40
- 2019 Mens oxfords Oxford shoes For Men Formal shoes OX Leather Lace Up Style Simple Light Flexible Fashionable (Hollow Optional) (color Hollow Black, Size 6 UK)
- Apricot Slippers Summer Slippers Women shoes Medium Heels Retro Mules shoes Slip On Woman Sandals Round Toe Female Slides Outdoor DE
- Gcanwea Women's Fashion Knee High Zipper Chunky Mid Heel Boots Comfortable Round Toe Rubber Sole Height Increase Casual Winter Suede Warm bluee 4.5 M US Boots
- EIGKASL Printed Non-Slip Slipper Slide flip Flop Sandals Chevrolet-Logo-Summer Stylish for Womens
- Women White shoes Flat Casual Vulcanized shoes Lace-Up Autumn Sneakers Platform
- Soda Womens Zuluu-2 Girly Fashion Slouchy Knee-High Flat Boots with Side Zipper in Black Faux Suede
- SPLNWTFHCNWPCB Women's Spring shoes Laced Flat shoes Women's Sneakers Student shoes Casual shoes Board shoes
- Women Silence Is golden Duct Tape Funny Canvas shoes For Women
- 1TO9 Womens Bucket-Style Nubuck Solid Urethane Boots MNS03439
- SEERTED Eucalyptus Cats White Background Womens Slip On Canvas shoes
The future of sustainable human health and agriculture rests on our ability to view microbial evolution as part of the solution rather than the problem. Frau Verona 38C5 55 Slip On MenThe Koskella lab takes on this challenge by combining discovery-based science on plant microbiomes with hypothesis-driven experimentation. Our research examines host-microbe and microbe-microbe interactions by first identifying patterns in nature and then, in line with current theory where available,Emmemoda Men's Trainers bluee Baby blueeDVS Men's Hunt shoes,Tan Suede,11 M US Men Sandals Slippers Genuine Leather Cowhide Male Summer shoes Outdoor Casual Leather SandalsNike Men's Air Pegasus 83 LTR Running shoesgenerating predictions to explicitly test in the laboratory using a combination of experimental evolution, microbial ecology approaches, QRETYSG flip flop Men's Clogs Summer shoes Men Slippers Breathable Non-slip Male Garden shoes Casual Beach Sandalsand molecular biological techniques.
We focus primarily on how plant-microbiome, plant-pathogen, and bacteria-phage interactions occur, both as model systems for understanding fundamental principles and with the aim of leveraging these findings for design of novel disease management strategies. Lotto Record VII, Men’s Low-Top SneakersWork shoes Work shoes work shoes lightweight comfortable men and women casual shoes work safety shoes steel toe caps mesh surface plate anti-piercing labor insurance shoes summer breathable deodorantWe integrate ecological and evolutionary thinking with cutting-edge microbiological and molecular approaches to gain insight to microbiome establishment and function, within-microbiome interactions, and the role that microbiota and phages play in shaping disease. For more information on ongoing research projects, look here.
The Koskella lab at our end-of-semester lab lunch (May 2019)
A brief introduction to the lab and our recent research:
Adidas Originals Men's EQT Support ADV PK
I am an evolutionary ecologist interested in how species interactions influence genetic diversity within populations, diversity between populations, and species diversity at the community level. By combining evolutionary theory on coevolution, population dynamics, and infection genetics,Rieker Men's 19050 Low-Top Sneakers CharcoalZIXUAP Men's shoes Autumn Fashion Wild Trend Casual Sports shoes Men And Women Harajuku Comfortable Non-slip Wear Running shoesMen's shoes Leather Spring Fall Comfort Driving shoes Loafers & Slip-Ons Black Brown,C,45SG Footprints SGF4-B-33 Junior Low Top Printable Canvas shoes, Size 33, Black I directly test the underlying assumptions and predicted outcomes of host-pathogen and microbial interactions through the lens of human health and agricultural sustainability.
My previous work was primarily focused on host – parasite coevolution; first between a smut fungus and a plant (e.g. Fila shoes Men Sneakers Aura MID in Black Suede 1010502-25Y), then a trematode and a snail (e.g. GLSHI Men Mesh Breathable Athletic shoes Spring Summer New Breathable Basketball shoes Comfortable Running shoes), and most recently between bacteriophage viruses and the bacteria they infect, which are themselves parasites of plants (e.g. if phages are locally adapted to bacteria, Adidas 11 black Questra TRX FG men's football boots M22144and YAYADI Sneakers For Men Running shoes Men'S Sport Lace-Up Exercise Couple Sneakers Breathable Mesh Letter shoes). The types of fundamental questions I’ve address are:
1) How do pathogens/parasites adapt to better infect their hosts? And at what scale / speed are they capable of adapting?
Meaden, S., & Koskella, B. (2017). Adaptation of the pathogen, Pseudomonas syringae, VANSKELIN Men's Breathable Slip-On Fashion Sneakers Lightweight Comfortable Casual shoesMens Leather Oxford shoes Gents Wide Fit Classic Lace Up Footwearduring experimental evolution on a native vs. alternative host plant. Molecular ecology, 26(7), 1790-1801.
Koskella, B. (2014). Bacteria-phage interactions across time and space: merging local adaptation and time-shift experiments to understand phage evolution. The American Naturalist, 184(S1), S9-S21.
Koskella, B., Thompson, J. N., Preston, G. M., & Buckling, A. (2011). Diadora Men's V7000 Weave Ii Gymnastics shoesMzq-yq Black Mesh Flying Woven Men's shoes Sports shoes Men's Spring And Summer Students Breathable Running shoes Non-slip Men's Running shoesLocal biotic environment shapes the spatial scale of bacteriophage adaptation to bacteria. The American Naturalist, 177(4), 440-451.
Greischar, M. A., & Koskella, B. (2007). A synthesis of experimental work on parasite local adaptation. Ecology Letters, 10(5), 418-434.
2) How do hosts respond to this adaptation (i.e. coevolve) and become more resistant to their local pathogens/parasites? LOVDRAM Men's shoes Summer Men'S Casual shoes Personality Sports shoes Flying Woven shoes Breathable Men'S shoes Running shoes Tide shoesNike Toddler Rosherun Gs Sport Trainer shoesAnd are they paying a significant cost for this evolved resistance?SIKESONG Men Boots Big Autumn Winter Mens Sneakers Lace Up Outdoor Mountain Men shoes WaterproofZYFXZ Work shoes Anti-mite and stab-resistant insulated men's predective shoes, breathable and deodorant waterproof and deodorant steel toe cap safety shoes safety shoes (color A, Size 43).
Koskella, B., & Parr, N. (2015). The evolution of bacterial resistance against bacteriophages in the horse chestnut phyllosphere is general across both space and time. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B, 370(1675), 20140297.
Meaden, S., Paszkiewicz, K., & Koskella, B. (2015). The cost of phage resistance in a plant pathogenic bacterium is context‐dependent. Evolution, 69(5), 1321-1328.
Koskella, B. (2013). Phage-mediated selection on microbiota of a long-lived host. Current Biology, 23(13), 1256-1260.
Koskella, B., Lin, D. M., Buckling, A., & Thompson, J. N. (2011).Casual Men's shoes Pig Leather Brown Four Seasons Can Wear Board shoes LeisureSanita Unisex Adults' Millstone-ESD-s3 Velcro Leather shoes Safety Sneakers for Men Walking shoes Casual Lace-Up Leather Upper Round Toe Anti-Slip Breathable Durable Height Increasing 5 cm Cricket shoesDiadora Game P High, Unisex Adults’ Gymnastics shoesThe costs of evolving resistance in heterogeneous parasite environments. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B: Biological Sciences, rspb20112259.
3) Can antagonistic coevolution lead to increased diversity? For example, do pathogens/parasites preferentially target common hosts (i.e. the hosts that are the most fit) and therefore impose a rare-host advantage?
Morella, N. M., Gomez, A. L., Wang, G., Leung, M. S., & Koskella, B. (2018). The impact of bacteriophages on phyllosphere bacterial abundance and composition. Molecular ecology, 27(8), 2025-2038.
Koskella, B., & Lively, C. M. (2009). Evidence for negative frequency‐dependent selection during experimental coevolution of a freshwater snail and a sterilizing trematode. Evolution: International Journal of Organic Evolution, 63(9), 2213-2221.
and 4) Does this coevolution among hosts and parasites matter to human health, agriculture, and conservation? Can we use our understanding about when and how pathogens and commensals evolve to design better treatments and to predict and prevent the spread of diseases?
Koskella, B., & Taylor, T. B. (2018). Multifaceted impacts of bacteriophages in the plant microbiome. Annual review of phytopathology, 56, 361-380.
Lin, D., & Koskella, B. (2015). Friend and foe: ZHRUI Lace up Boots for Men Winter Fur Lined Genuine Leather Winter Chukka Boots (color Brown, Size UK 8)Kensington TED Mens Leather Chelsea Boots Black UK 12factors influencing the movement of the bacterium Helicobacter pylori along the parasitism–mutualism continuum. Evolutionary applications, 8(1), 9-22.
Meaden, S., & Koskella, B. (2013). Exploring the risks of phage application in the environment. Frontiers in microbiology, 4, 358.
So far, the body of evidence produced by the scientific community over decades of work suggests that parasites can evolve rapidly and specifically to infect their hosts, but that this doesn’t always mean they get more harmful or even better at infecting.Men's Ankle Boots Canvas Vamp Casual High Top Comfortable Simple Fleece Lined WGartenschuh Herren Gr.44 Clean Land kaki m.Neopren There is also clear evidence that hosts respond by evolving increased resistance, and that this often comes at a cost such as decreased growth or reproduction. This ongoing coevolution, in which neither parasite nor host is winning the battle has been called ‘Red Queen’ dynamics, based on the idea from “Alice Through the Looking Glass” that you have to run as fast as you can just to stay in the same placeVans Classic Slip-On Sneakers MenHAOYUXIANG Men's sandals leather summer tide British wild casual shoes youth clip toe men's slippers beach shoes (color Yellow, Size 39).Joma Top Flex 906 Turf - Men's Football shoes - Tops.906.TFNautica Men's Dress shoes Slip On Oxford Moc Toe Loafer At last these ideas are beginning to be incorporated into the design and use of drug treatments (sometimes referred to as Darwinian Medicine) and used to build predictive models of disease spread in our increasingly-connected world. My work has taken advantage of a very powerful approach to address these questions by experimentally evolving hosts and parasites in the laboratory, Mens Jack and Jones Troy Combo Anthracite Casual Fashion TrainersZHRUI Men Slippers Summer Leather Metal Buckle Non-Slip Beach shoes for Men (color Brown, Size 9=43 EU)therefore controlling for all the other “noise” out there in nature (Puma Ignite Ultimate Layered, Men's Running shoes).Puma Mens Sneaker Match 74 Lthr 358673 02 BlackLH Wear-resistant mountaineering cross-country shoes spring and autumn outdoor sports shoes men's low-top waterproof walking non-slip shoes,46 However,LIUYL Men's Army Hiking boots Tactical Military Boots High-top shoes Suede leather Desert Security Walking Patrol Boots,Black-44Pointed Men's Leather shoes Classic Brogues Mens Leather Loafer Smart Moccasin Flat Slip On Comfort Casual shoes I always try to go back to nature’s microcosm to find out whether what holds true in the lab can be used to explain what we see in the real world.RENMEN Spring Summer Autumn Men's shoes Men's White Student shoes Men's shoes Sports Casual shoes 38-43, bluee and white