With TV season finales airing all this month, expect some characters to come back next season as different people—figuratively speaking, of course. Or, literally speaking in regard to Boy Meets World having two different actors play Morgan Matthews and three different actors play Topanga Lawrence’s father. Here are the six biggest TV character transformations.
Leslie Knope on Parks and Recreation
Played by Amy Poehler
One of the most influential females on TV, the goofy Season 1 Leslie Knope wildly differs from the empowering (and waffle-loving) Knope we now know and love. In Season 1, she appears as the female equivalent to Michael Scott, giving goofy hand gestures and falling into a pit. Over the course of the rest of the series, her Pawnee pride emerges as she enters local politics (and makes friendship quilts!) Nowadays, Leslie Knope fits in a conversation with Michelle Obama and Ruth Bader Ginsberg. As she should.
- Cambridge Select Women's Open Toe Crisscross Strap Slingback colorblock Platform Wedge Sandal
- OCHENTA Women's Fashion Platform Lug Sole Chunky High Heel Sandals
- Schutz Women's Kamilia Western Boot
- MUMUWU Men's Leather Sandals Perforated Casual Summer Beach shoes Anti-slip Flat Slippers Round Close Toe Buckle Sandals
- Men's Ankle Work Boot Casual Outdoor Round Toe Winter Faux Fleece Inside High Top Boot
- Nike Mens Hypervenomx Phelon III Indoor shoes
- Nike Air Jordan 1 Mid Premium Mens Basketball shoes
- Peppeshoes Modello Ilario - Handmade Italian Leather Mens color orange Ankle Chukka Boots - Cowhide Smooth Leather - Lace-Up
- Brogue Men's Fashion Leather Formal Square Toe shoes Leather Loafer Flats Lace up Slip Resistant Retro British Style
- Keds Sneaker shoes Champion CVO Black CVS
- Goorape Men's Leather Casual Fashion Lightweight Slip On Loafer shoes
- Adidas Men's Equipment Support Adv Trainers
- bluee Bell Black ASICS Women's Gt-1000 7 Running shoes 1012A030
- GIY Womens Athletic Walking shoes Breathable Mesh Slip On Lace up Casual Comfort Running Sneakers
- Versace Jeans Linea Fondo Super Dis 1 E0YTBSG170944141, Trainers
- COOLCEPT Women's High Heels Pumps Leopard Runde Toe Stiletto Platform shoes for Party
- Pleaser Women's Swan-612 BLE-S Ankle-Strap Sandal
- AmoonyFashion Women's High-Heels Frosted Solid Buckle Open Toe Sandals
- AmoonyFashion Womens Closed Round Toe High Heels PU Patent Leather Solid Boots with Chunky Heels, Claret, 10 B(M) US
- KKEPO& 2019 New Spring Summer Square Toe Shallow Pu Leather Buckle Strap StrangeHigh Heels Sandals Women Fashion Tide 10SJ460 Beige 38
- Elsa Wilcox Women Winter Pointed Toe Zipper Bootie Comfy Hidden Heel Dressy Short Boots Suede Wedge Ankle Boots
- Pleaser Womens ADORE-708UVP C CDGRN Sandal
- AmoonyFashion Women's Solid PU Kitten-Heels Open-Toe Buckle Sandals, BUTLT006289
- XXHDYR Women's shoes Pointed High Heels Shallow shoes Beautiful Bow High Heels Fashion Wild Best Work Professional shoes Palace shoes Women's shoes (color Black, Size 38 EU)
- Nine Seven Genuine Leather Women's Pointed Toe Mid Kitten Heel Elegant Handmade Concise Slip On Mary Jane Mule Pumps
- Columbia Mens Bahama Boot PFG Boat shoes
- Reebok Men's Club C 85 Walking shoes
- CJC High-Heeled Sandals Baotou High Heels Thin High Heels Sexy Fashion Elegant (color gold, Size EU36 UK3.5)
- Aravon Women's Revswan Fisherman Sandal
- Lacoste Women's Explorateur Calf 316 2 Caw Dk Gry Fashion Sneaker
- Khaki Green Blingbling-honored High end Real Fox Fur Slipper Women Slides Sliders Fashion Spring Summer Autumn Fluffy Fur Lady S6018
- Platform High Heels Peep Toe Summer shoes Sandals Women Sexy Party Sandal
- FF Autumn Running shoes Men's shoes Sneakers
- Oudan 2018 Men's Fashion Rivet Sneaker Flat Heel Solid color Slip on Tide shoes (color gold, Size 42 EU) (color Silver, Size 42 EU)
- Autumn And Winter Leather Men Tooling Boots High To Help Casual shoes Plus Cashmere Warm Men's shoes
- Sneakers men Colmar 40 grey A Renton Drill Autunno Inverno 2017 18
- Hugo Boss BOSS Men's Saturn Leather Sneaker by BOSS Green
- 1TO9 Girls Rhinestones Wedges White Soft Material Sandals - 10 B(M) US
- Meijunter New Women Ladies High Heels Peep Toe Belt Buckle Crocodile Pattern Sandals shoes
- Fheaven Platfrom Sandals Women Summer Buckle Peep Toe Wedges Casual Sandals shoes Non-Slip (7, Pink)
- Soft Style Womens Denise Slip-On Loafer
- Owaheson Platform Lace up Sneaker Casual Chunky Walking shoes High Top Women Paraguay Flag
- Women Running Sneakers, Lady Casual Lightweight Gym Yoga Sport shoes Outdoor Walking shoes
- Echoine Women's Fashion Athletic Sneakers - Lightweight Breathable Slip On Sports Walking Running shoes
- Volatile Womens Blix Ankle Bootie
Ben Chang on Community
Played by Ken Jeong
While my mind still can’t fully grasp that Donald Glover, Alison Brie, and Joel McHale were all on a TV show together, I am as baffled with Ben Chang’s transformation. He changes from an unstable Spanish teacher to a Greendale student that gets bitten by a monkey and is living in the air vents. Chang’s kookiness makes Seinfeld’s Kramer look normal. After all, there’s something genius about a coffee table book of coffee tables, but faking your own type of amnesia? That’s straight up Ben Chang.
Ryan Howard on The Office
Played by B.J. Novak
Ryan was merely known as the “Fire Guy” and Michael Scott’s crush at Dunder Mifflin in the first season of The Office. Over the course of the series he gets promoted to Vice President of the company, gets sent to prison, becomes a drug addict, and inexplicably bleaches his hair. He went from a second-rate Jim Halpert to an employee that only Kelly Kapoor (and Michael Scott) could love.
Jan Levinson on The Office
Played by Melora Hardin
Just as Ryan became an irrational, comedic character at Dunder Mifflin, Vice President of the company and Michael’s ex-girlfriend Jan Levinson did as well (but even more). Famous Jan moments include her scented candle business, her fascination with her assistant Hunter, and recording a Doris Day cover album. And to think this character transformation began all with a beach trip to Sandals Resorts Jamaica.
Topanga Lawrence on Boy Meets World
Played by Danielle Fishel
Though most characters change from “normal” to “weird” on TV shows, Topanga Lawrence on Boy Meets World has the opposite transformation. After all, you know if she was intended to be Cory Matthews’ long-term love interest, her name would be Erica or Ashley, not Topanga. She goes from a hippie that performs an interpretive dance titled “Donut in the Sky” to a bookworm perfectionist. Personally, I think Cory, famously known for having a poster of celery, would be fine with either Topanga.
Eric Matthews on Boy Meets World
Played by Will Friedle
Since Boy Meet World’s strange character became normal, another person on the show needs to take that role. Enter Eric Matthews: the cool older brother from Season 1. Over the series, he catches the curtains on fire, hides in the couch, and calls himself “Kyle.” Most bizarrely, Eric appears as a bearded hermit named “Plays with Squirrels” at an imaginary high school reunion. Who would imagine a popular baseball player would transform into this comedic character? But, I’m here for it. The only lasting trait throughout is the everlasting “Fee-hee-hee-hee-nay” call.
Any characters missing from the list? And no, Pam Beesly making better style choices in later seasons of The Office doesn’t count.